I looked into and researched three different magazine covers of different genres of music.
I did this as I thought it would give me a good insight as to what I will want my magazine cover to look like.
I researched three so i could get a good idea of what a good one looked like and what I thought was good about the magazine covers and what i liked about them.
I aimed to do a general analysis of the magazines and try to look at them from a reader's point of view so i could see what was effective and how it was effective, i.e. different colours, use of fonts and the range of images used on the front of the magazine and what my opinion on them was.
From the opinions I had on the magazines and the conclusions I wrote on the magazines gave me an idea of what I had looked at on each magazine.
In my own opinion the more colours used on the front of a magazine the more it called out to a younger/teenage audience because of the bubbliness of the look of the magazine, however I didn't like if they were quite unorganised because i thought this detracted from the professional look of the magazine.
I also like the idea of having more than one image on the front of a magazine however i would prefer to have a border on the image so as to make is stand out from the background and to make is seperate from the other images used. If I were to use a lot of scattered images on the magazine cover it is possible that the magazine would be aimed at a younger audience due to the unorganised look of the magazine.
However, I also like the idea of having just one inset image on the front of the magazine, this contradicts the last point that I made but if I were to use just one image on the front of the magazine it would have a more refined and organised look about the magazine rather than the scattered, messy look if there were many pictures positioned all over the cover of the magazine.
Because I cannot decide on whether I would prefer to have one image inset on the magazine cover or to have a few smaller images on the cover I believe it would be a good idea if I were to ask other teenagers their opinion and why they think it, this way I will have more than just my opinion and it will give me a good idea on why they prefer it.
Another aspect of the magazines that I liked was the use of font. Each magazine used a different font from the masthead to the other pieces of text.
I think this is important as it sets apart the title of the magazine and the other text. I think if all the writing was in the same font and size it would take away the effect that the title has on the magazine, the name of the magazine is important as with the name of the magazine is the standard of every edition of magazine and the reputation the magazine label has.
On one of the magazines I analysed, there were a lot of different colours and fonts on the front of the magazine, I thought this would particularly attract a younger audience, I also believed that this could have something to do with the magazine being a chart music magazine, where stereotypically, only people of a younger age tend buy and read this particular magazine, whereas on the Rock magazine cover there appeared to be a set theme to the colours used, this could perhaps be because the magazine would only stereotypically be aimed at older teenagers/young adults.
Conclusively, I would like to be able to run a survey and compare two magazines, perhaps of the same genre, to see which one people preferred and were more attracted to, why they were attracted to it, asking their opinion on having one large image inset into the magazine cover or having a lot of smaller images scattered on the cover and whether they would have a preference to having lots of loud colours or having a particular colour scheme which runs through the magazine.
No comments:
Post a Comment